The Bengal Music College was established in the year 1940 by the selfless service of the founder Principal Late Nanigopal Bandyopadhyay and valuable services of Late Manindra Chandra Chakraborty and Late Kshitish Chandra Bandyopadhyay.
In the year 1956 Bengal Music College was affiliated to the University of Calcutta under the initiation of the founder Principal Late N.G. Bandyopadhyay. B. Mus. (Pass) and Music as Elective subject of B.A. / B. Sc. Degree course have been continuing for the last five decades.
This College has distinguished itself as a pioneer in the field of music education in West Bengal. The record of its development now spans over a few decades during which a potent concept had considerable impact on the educational & Cultural life of West Bengal and the college showed a spectacular progress in the field of teaching music overcoming all the advertise and problems.
The Faculty council for Under Graduate studies in Fine Arts, Music and Home Science of the University of Calcutta accorded permission to introduce 3 year Honours Degree course in this College from the academic session 1995-96.
The Faculty Council for Post Graduate Studies in Fine Arts, Music and Home Science of the University of Calcutta accorded permission to introduce Master of Music Course in this College from the academic session 2003-2004.
The authority of the University permitted this College to start Research Work in Music from the academic session 2009-2010.